Sunday, October 14, 2007

road trip


excepting the crazy christmas where we took our THREE MONTH OLD to visit every person we're related to within a 600 mile radius (not kidding) we have not traveled farther than Grandpa's farm since our honeymoon. Either this means that our life is so fraught with meaning and purpose that we don't need travel for fulfillment, Washtenaw county contains within its borders everything we could ever want to do or see, or we're just really boring.
I'll just have to puzzle that all out later beacuse just now I am getting directions and packing and sorting and changing the oil and checking the tires.
the trip may be, in and of itself, mildly uninteresting, but I don't care.
We're playing three Beatles songs at the wedding of my former principal's daughter. They're putting us up in a decent hotel and paying us fairly well. None of this matters as much to me as the fact that I will be somewhere where I don't know the scenery like the back of my hand and won't run into anyone I know or be able to stress about all of the things I should be doing around the house beacuse I will be physically unable to do them beacause I will be OUT OF TOWN.
That magical phrase... I've used it on my MIL twice already.
Each one sent endorphins rushing down up my spine.
"gross dinner at bad restaurant for another birthday? Oh, I'm so sorry! we'll be OUT OF TOWN."
hee hee...
"oh, that sounds like fun but, we'll be OUT OF TOWN, remember?"
and at work...
"You need more volunteers for Pizza Pumpkin night? With the screaming sugar-high kids and their distracted parents and the Dominoes pizza and all of our classrooms turned into haunted houses by overzealous PTO moms on crack? I'm so sorry! No I completely forgot about it and we'll be...
(drumroll please)
OUT OF TOWN."
Yes. It's gone to my head.

No comments: