Tuesday, October 16, 2007

multiculturalism in the classroom


Three kindergarten students from Japan in one class.
One of them also speaks some English.
Since I am teaching about tempo, I decide it's the right thing to do to learn the Japanese words for fast and slow. She helps me translate, everyone thinks it's great.
("Hi-i!" was a big hit, by the way, much more convincing than "fast.")

I'm telling an African folk tale, not unlike the Tortoise and the Hare, called Toad and Donkey. Toad and Donkey are in a race, at each mile marker, Donkey calls out "Ha, ha, ha, me more than toad!"
Toad calls back, "Jin-ko-ro-kok-kok!"

The Japanese kids look at me with eyes like saucers. The second time toad calls out they fall over laughing and keep repeating "Jin-ko-ro!" to each other and bouncing around hyterically. Finally, the tiny girl with the best english and a very red face points to her crotch, then to the boys and says, "Jinkoro is that place!" and collapses into giggles.

Moral of the story: that old penis toad is a tricky fella.

1 comment:

Kate said...

i am going to be saying that all day... "that old penis toad is a tricky fella"