Thursday, August 6, 2009

reconstruction


aside from putting my patio, my relationship with my parents re: religion and, well... my identity back together after finishing and or quitting pretty much everything I was consumed with for the last 2 years, I also made another major leap.

A few summers ago I went to this great garages sale and bought, among other things, a red pleather bag for 2 bucks (that I later found $12 in) and a Cold War Kids t-shirt. This Italian (I know) t-shirt has been my favorite, best fitting, most treasured article of clothing since. The problem is, it's crazy stained and wearing out. I've looked online and compared American Apparel and Alternative Apparel shirts to no avail. It's an orphan. So... I took the plunge.

Today I cut up the poor thing and used it as a pattern to deconstruct a few of Jesse's less than satisfactory shirts (y'know the ones from Target that have one arm longer than the other- things like that).

It was simultaneously horrifying to deal with the fact that I'd never wear my favorite shit, as such, again and deeply gratifying to see that I was right! It IS special! It's ever so slightly bias cut, the sleeves are asymmetrical the angle of the shoulder seams is of an elegance typically reserved for garment cut from much finer cloth that medium weight cotton jersey.

Pieces are cut, hems are out, now for gestation and...
dum, dum dum!......
the birth of the clone!

1 comment:

Tom Cook said...

You could just make one at cafe press