Thursday, November 1, 2007

bye bye briarwood


For the last four years or so, my J has had an on again off again thing with the mall. Not because he likes to shop (hates it)Not becuse he likes the sound or the smell or the stuff or the starbucks, but because Von Maur is the only department store in the midwest still stuffy enough to hire a live pianist.

I have great memories of sitting on the stiff upholstered couches after a long day of teaching sipping my chai and listening to piano solo versions of everthing from Chopin to Led Zepplin to Keith Jarret to gut-bucket blues. Then later, when I was pregnant I used to go there and listen and knit. I always wondered what the high-heeled make-up counter ladies thought about the huge hippie girl and her snacks and projects so at home on that ridiculous uncomfortable couch. I'm sure it was clear that we were together. He was certainly the only bearded employee, and if that didn't give us away, the handmade binder covers or the faint hint of nag champa surely did. Now it's the two year old riding the escalator and shouting "I see my papa down there, mama!"

J has quit and been rehired a few times, but I really think this one's for good. He has enough gigs and lessons to make up the difference and just way to much other good stuff going on to put in 15 hours a week at consumer central. I love seeing the mediocre pushed out by the overwhelmingly great. Beyond that I am relieved to have some pressure taken off the calendar which was in danger of spontaneous combustion. It's kind of like lancing a really good abcess.
(sorry. to me its a fair comparison...
I know...It's a sickness.)

2 comments:

Tom Cook said...

good for J

Betsy said...

whoo hoo! Nice to have that off your calendar! Too bad for them losing a good pianist, ha! But so nice he doesn't have to do it.

Any photos of the little Altoid?